|Type: Hitscan bullet|
|Damage: 10-500 · ((charges while scoped))|
|Damage vs. Generator: 400|
|Damage vs. Base structure: 0|
|Damage vs. Gravcycle: 0|
|Damage vs. Beowulf: 0|
|Damage vs. Shrike: 50|
|Magazine size: 5|
|Carried ammo: 37|
|Reload type: Clip|
|Attack interval: 2.3s|
|Reload time: 1.35|
The BXT1 is the Sentinel's starter sniper rifle, and one of two available in Tribes: Ascend. The shot charges when the player brings up the scope, dealing up to 500 damage. The charge is exponential, increasing the penalty for firing quickly, but increasing the output of near-full charge shots. The BXT1 will deal minimal damage if shot without bringing up the scope.
The BXT1 Rifle is a hit-scan weapon, meaning there is no bullet drop or travel time.
Base damage: 500 at max.
- BXT1 Rifle damage equation:
- Z = Min( (4.92 * X) ^2 + 10, 500)
- X being time zoomed in and Z being damage output
- Z may not exceed 500
- Charging longer than 4.5 seconds would not yield more damage
- Upgrade 1: +8 ammo.
- Upgrade 2: +1 clip size.
- Upgrade 3: -20% range falloff.
- Upgrade 4: -30% reload times.
With the BXT1 rifle, you are quite open to be creative in your use perks.
Reach: Since none of the primary perks really do much for the BXT1 sentinel, reach, with it's large increase in flag maneuvering abilities, really is a safe choice as sentinel. This however requires that you learn when you should assist your own capper/chase the enemy capper and when you should let your team handle it, and stay safe on your perch.
Enables the sentinel to be more resistant to explosive disruption, and thus more certain of his aim, if under fire.
Since you have the ability to deviate from your route as carrier killer, more on that in BXT1- versus Phase Rifle, you are going to be getting a lot of kills. Bounty hunter capitalizes on this, giving your team a player with lots of credits. These can be spent on base upgrades or buying your dedicated pilot a shrike.
A survival tactic of many snipers is to, when under fire, fly as high into the air whilst taking a few final shots at the enemy carrier. This is a desperation tactic, but the safefall allows you to make it more effective, as you don't have to worry about having enough energy left after the maneuver to survive the fall.
Combine it with Safe Fall for slightly greater effect
BXT1- versus Phase Rifle
There are different arguments for using the standard rifle and the phase rifle. Here is a list of the pros and cons of the BXT1 rifle. In the article on Phase rifle will be the evaluation of that rifle:
BXT1 Rifle pros:
1. Compared to the Phase Rifle, the BXT1 rifle gives you far greater mobility, as it does not cost energy to fire.
2. The charge time on this rifle, is very small compared to the Phase Rifle, so the moment you spot your target, you are going to be doing a lot more damage
3. Regarding pro nr. 2: Because of this, you will be under a lot less psychological pressure, than with the phase rifle, as it rarely costs you anything to miss a few shots.
4. You are free to be creative with your perk combinations
5. If it is part of your style, you can use a Drop Jammer to assist your team, and/or conceal your position slightly more.
6. Because your dps is so much higher than with the phase rifle, you can and should assist your defending team mates when the capper is not a threat. This is of course also doable with the phase rifle, but less effective, and you can't deal with makeshift cappers (or random switches between capper numbers) because it takes so long to react to a grab, if you have just fired the rifle.
1. Shooting the BXT1 Rifle is completely ineffective unless you spend a couple of seconds charging the shot. To avoid this you have to always remain scoped, and this greatly decreases your visibility, and thus your ability as a spotter. This can be somewhat overcome with knowledge of enemy cap-routes, and knowing where to spot, and how often, but the phase rifle will always be slightly more effective, as spotting (default button: Left Alt) will cover a greater area when not scoped.
2. Regarding pro nr. 3: However the psychological pressure taken from you on your damage output, will be returned to you in your spotting role. If you are not spotting for your team as well, you have to make up for it by shooting well, when you do. If you are not shooting well one day, the advantages of having a greater damage output is diminished.
3. The BXT1 rifle is extremely loud. This makes the sentinel an easier target to locate, in some scenarios.
Free with class unlock.
Primary weapons guide(thanks to Yamiks): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z00BYoJWO4