XP is earned by playing the game online, it's used for unlocking new content and upgrading gear. Unlike Gold, XP cannot be bought and must be earned. Some content in the game (equipment upgrades) can only be unlocked using XP.
 Earning XP
After each completed match you will be presented with a match summary screen. Your total earned XP for the game will be displayed, along with very brief overview of what contributed to the total.
- Base XP is calculated from your time spent in a match. It's a linear rate.
- Bonus XP is dependent on your Base XP. Certain variables such as your scoreboard rank and if you won or lost the match will affect how large this bonus can get. Generally it's a value within 0%-50% of the Base XP. (Badges and 'First win of the day' bonuses can inflate the Bonus XP greatly.)
- VIP is 50% of your Base XP and Bonus XP added together.
- Boost is 100% of your Base XP, Bonus XP, and VIP added together.
You can get XP by earning Badges. Each time you earn or level up a badge, you are awarded a bit of XP. This is added onto your Bonus XP sum; VIP and Boost bonuses are applied to XP from badges, too.
There's also a bonus called First win of the day, and it can only be earned once per day. It's a flat 1200 XP added to the Bonus XP sum for winning the match. VIP and Boost bonuses are applied to XP from FWOTD too.
 Calculation examples
The following are rough estimates determined by community testing, data only taken from CTF matches played from start to finish:
- Base XP = (Time played in seconds) * 0.5833
- Bonus XP = ((win or loss[1/0]) * (Base XP * 0.25)) + (Base XP * 0.25) / (scoreboard rank)
- VIP = (Base XP + Bonus XP) * 0.5
- Boost = Base XP + Bonus XP + VIP
Given the same VIP status, boost bonus and time played, this means that players in the winning team will always make more XP than players in the losing team. For example, the player that ranked first in his losing team would still get less XP than the player that ranked last in the winning team. Hence, it is best to play to win and not to top the scoreboard.
A match lasting 10 minutes, where you win and place 4th on the scoreboard gives the following values:
- Base XP = 600 * 0.5833 = 350
- Bonus XP = (350 * 0.25) + (350 * 0.25) / 4 = 109
- Total = 350 + 109 = 459
A match lasting 25 minutes, where you win and place 1st on the scoreboard gives the following values:
- Base XP = 1500 * 0.5833 = 875
- Bonus XP = (875 * 0.25) + (875 * 0.25) / 1 = 438
- Total = 875 + 438 = 1313
A match lasting 25 minutes, where you lose and place 1st on the scoreboard gives the following values:
- Base XP = 1500 * 0.5833 = 875
- Bonus XP = (875 * 0.00) + (875 * 0.25) / 1 = 219
- Total = 875 + 219 = 1094
A match lasting 12 minutes and 28 seconds, where you lose and place 6th on the scoreboard and have VIP status gives the following values:
- Base XP = 748 * 0.5833 = 436
- Bonus XP = (436 * 0.00) + (436 * 0.25) / 6 = 18
- VIP = (436 + 18) * 0.5 = 227
- Total = 436 + 18 + 227 = 681
A match lasting 8 minutes, where you win and place 9th on the scoreboard and have VIP status and active Boost gives the following values:
- Base XP = 480 * 0.5833 = 280
- Bonus XP = (280 * 0.25) + (280 * 0.25) / 9 = 78
- VIP = (280 + 78) * 0.5 = 179
- Boost = 280 + 78 + 179 = 537
- Total = 280 + 78 + 179 + 537 = 1074
VIP Status is something that one could previously (before the February 14, 2013 patch) earn by purchasing any amount of Tribes Gold, which permanently upgraded a player's account to a 'VIP' account. After the GOTY patch, VIP status cannot be obtained by any means, but remains active on accounts who previously held VIP status. VIP status increases the amount of XP earned by 50%.
As an example, if 1000 XP is earned in a match, VIP automatically boosts that amount to 1500 XP. This can be boosted to 3000 XP if a Booster is active on the account.
Boosters are bought with Tribes Gold. Boost doubles the XP you earn while playing, allowing you to unlock classes, weapons, and upgrades in half the time.
Currently you can purchase:
|1 Day||240 Gold|
|3 Day||400 Gold|
|10 Day||640 Gold|
|30 Day||1200 Gold|
|90 Day||2400 Gold (1600 with current deal)|
For example, Boost can also be used alongside your VIP bonus. Boost is applied after the VIP 50% bonus, effectively tripling the default XP earning rate.
In a match where you would regularly earn 800 XP as a regular player, the same match with both VIP status and Boost active would have awarded you 2400 XP (800 XP x 1.5 VIP Bonus x 2 Boost).