|Type: Hitscan bullet|
|Damage: 10-500 · (Z =Min( (4.92 * X) ^2 + 10, 500))|
|Damage vs. Generator: 400 (Full charge)|
|Damage vs. Base structure: 0|
|Damage vs. Gravcycle: 0|
|Damage vs. Beowulf: 0|
|Damage vs. Shrike: 50 (Full charge)|
|Magazine size: 5|
|Carried ammo: 37|
|Reload type: Clip|
|Attack interval: 2.3s|
|Reload time: 1.35|
|Gold cost: Free with class unlock|
|XP cost: Free with class unlock|
The BXT1 Rifle is the default primary weapon for the Sentinel, and one of four available in Tribes: Ascend. The shot charges when the player brings up the scope, dealing up to 500 damage. The charge is exponential, increasing the penalty for firing quickly, but increasing the output of near-full charge shots. The BXT1 will deal 125 damage if shot without bringing up the scope.
The BXT1 Rifle is a hit-scan weapon, meaning there is no bullet drop or travel time.
The charge damage can be modeled by:
- Upgrade 1: +8 ammo.
- Upgrade 2: +1 clip size.
- Upgrade 3: -20% range falloff.
- Upgrade 4: -30% reload times.
With the BXT1 rifle, you are quite open to be creative in your use perks.
Reach: Reach, with its large increase in flag maneuvering abilities, is a good option for mobile sentinels. This however requires that you learn when you should assist your own capper/chase the enemy capper and when you should let your team handle it, and stay safe on your perch. You can also use it when you are "Grav Sniping" (sniping on a Grav Cycle) can be a great choice to return flags more easily when you get out of the Grav Cycle after killing the flag carrier.
Enables the sentinel to be more resistant to explosive disruption, and thus more certain of his aim, if under fire.
Since you have the ability to deviate from your route as carrier killer, you are going to be getting a lot of kills. Bounty hunter capitalizes on this, giving your team a player with lots of credits. These can be spent on base upgrades or buying your dedicated pilot a shrike.
Mobile sentinels will often be high-flying, so as to get away from attackers and gain a better view of enemies. Safe fall allows you to remain mobile while not worrying about killing yourself when landing from high jumps. Since a good mobile sentinel will be looking through their scope for the vast majority of their play time, it can be difficult to judge a landing perfectly and avoid fall damage.
Extra energy can give any class extra mobility, and the sentinel is no exception. Combine this perk with the Energy Recharge pack for extra effect.
 BXT1- versus Phase Rifle
There are different arguments for using the standard rifle and the phase rifle. Here is a list of the pros and cons of the BXT1 rifle. In the article on Phase rifle will be the evaluation of that rifle:
1. Compared to the Phase Rifle, the BXT1 rifle gives you far greater mobility, as it does not cost energy to fire.
2. The charge time on this rifle, is very small compared to the Phase Rifle, so the moment you spot your target, you are going to be doing a lot more damage
3. Regarding pro nr. 2: Because of this, you will be under a lot less psychological pressure, than with the phase rifle, as it rarely costs you anything to miss a few shots.
4. You are free to be creative with your perk combinations
5. If it is part of your style, you can use a Drop Jammer to assist your team, and/or conceal your position slightly more.
6. Because your dps is so much higher than with the phase rifle, you can and should assist your defending team mates when the capper is not a threat. This is of course also doable with the phase rifle, but less effective, and you can't deal with makeshift cappers (or random switches between capper numbers) because it takes so long to react to a grab, if you have just fired the rifle.
7. Consistently waiting for a full-charge shot enforces you have taken the time to line up a good shot on the target.
8. As addition to Pro nr. 1: In some scenarios (like the Katabatic CTF map) the Sentinel has to often leave his/her spot to chase the enemy cappers when the map is not often open enough for a series of clear shots, and thus giving a quick and much needed mobility burt. ( Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUwhFi7wrkg )
1. Shooting the BXT1 Rifle is completely ineffective unless you spend a couple of seconds charging the shot. To avoid this you have to always remain scoped, and this greatly decreases your visibility, and thus your ability as a spotter. This can be somewhat overcome with knowledge of enemy cap-routes, and knowing where to spot, and how often, but the phase rifle will always be slightly more effective, as spotting (default button: Left Alt) will cover a greater area when not scoped.
2. Regarding pro nr. 3: However the psychological pressure taken from you on your damage output, will be returned to you in your spotting role. If you are not spotting for your team as well, you have to make up for it by shooting well, when you do. If you are not shooting well one day, the advantages of having a greater damage output is diminished.
3. The BXT1 rifle is extremely loud. This makes the sentinel an easier target to locate, in some scenarios.
- Both BXT rifles deal more damage out of scope than they do with an un-charged scoped shot. This could be intentional, as it has not been confirmed as a bug by the developers.
 Video guides
Primary weapons guide(thanks to Yamiks): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z00BYoJWO4